• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guru

Guru

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:50 PM

I'm not sure how many of you, if any, are motorcycle riders but I will tell you about a trip to a place you may have never imagined here in our state.
Red Bluff is a geographic marvel located between Foxworth (beside Columbia) and Monticello, Ms.
The bluff is completely clay with a few large and a few scrub pines with a view of about maybe 30-40 I'm guessing.  I base this estimate from a few telescope experiments in years past.
To get there you can turn North from the only on-the-highway gasoline station in Foxworth, currently a BP station, and head up the two lane little highway.  This road may have a number but I'm not sure it does.
I call this highway "Little Appalachia" because it is all hills and curves and has little in the way of any roadside.  Many bike group trips along this road have experienced at least one bike losing footing in the curves or side of the road and flying off the embankments.
When you do get to the bluffs you will see where the highway berms have eroded over the years and the road bed has moved to accomodate this.
The next thing you see when looking North is only what you will imagine as Mississippi's Grand Canyon.  It is that, so sudden and out of place for us.  The gorge is about 40-45 feet deep leaving the roadway and opens into the viewing distance mentioned above.  You feel like you are overlooking a carpet of Pine Tree tops as far as the eye can see.
There is a parking bluff for photos but be aware that this is private property although the owners seem to allow everyone to experience the bluffs and I've never seen anyone there to shoo people away.
If you drive or if you bike, keep your eyes on the road and although the run will bring out the cafe' racer in you, remain in control and be there for the view.  Just make sure your view is primarily on the road and looking ahead for what comes next.
The ride from Foxworth to Monticello is about 20 miles.

#2 Charity

Charity

Sweet One :)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:41 PM

sounds nice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users